Earlier in the year end hols, my mom, who was driving, in some random moment, turned to me and said: ‘Why do you like to read comics? It’s not good at all.’ I, an avid comic fan (And an overemotional brat), felt very much offended. So much so that my mom noticed my devastated face, tried to soothe me. The conversation went pretty much like below:
MOM: Don’t take it personally. I don’t read comics, so I don’t really know.
ME: Yeah, well, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. YOU taught me that.
MOM: That’s why I’m asking you. What’s so good about it?
ME: Uh… (At this moment, I knew my reasons, but I couldn’t explain it in the language my mom, as well as most adults speaks.)
MOM: So, you should take this as your yearend assignment. Give me ten reasons why comics are advantageous to youth nowadays.
Fast forward a couple of weeks, and here we are now, with me giving you information you could use to counter your parents’ ramblings about comics being some kind of disease towards mankind.
Reasons to Love Comics:
- 1) Comics have the same elements as what a novel would have. That includes character development, setting, plot, theme, point of view, conflicts, climax and so on. Get what I’m saying?
- 2) It also has built–in clues to help readers understand the story better. Since comics are visual, even if the dialogues are hard to understand, there are diagrams supporting the comprehension of the tale.
- 3) Comics have a wider age-range than other reading devices. There are more comics that entertain young and old alike than books.
- 4) Comics amuse people visually, especially kids. Why, you ask? It’s simple: CHILDREN LOVE PICTURES. :D
- 5) Most adults want their kids to be reading books. If your child does not even have the slightest interest in books, one advises you to let them read comics. It is proven that comics attract youth to reading. Think of comics as a stepping stone. Your kids will be begging you to buy books.
- 6) Comics also influence children to be more creative and artistic.
- 7) Plus, if used right, comics can be used as an effective education device! From experience, it is proven that what you learn can be memorized easier and stay in your head longer if lessons aren’t so boring. By reading educational comics, which is an interesting way to convey messages to kids, it would stay in their minds for a very, VERY long time (Or until they need the info for an exam).
- 8) Not only that, comics also have a wider range of selection! Yeah, most parents would be shocked ‘bout that, but it’s true. Every month, there are lots of new comic materials out in store. It’s certainly way faster than the release of new books. Take that.
- 9) Did you know that comics need a different reading strategy than novels? Since comics are just dialogues and illustration, readers need to rely on both and conclude what is not written. Simply put, it gives us a chance to find out extra info.
- 10) People need variety. In a reading diet, one cannot possibly live purely on words. Explore the imaginary world the comics offer.
- 11) Most of all, comics are FUN! Reading does not have to be so dull, right? :D
Oh, I gave one extra tidbit, didn’t I? Oh well, it strengthens my claims that comics really are good. :D Just wait ‘til my mom sees this~! :D :D :D
Just don’t get too addicted to it. :) It might mess up your life (Not to mention your book rack.)