Followers

Occasional Inspirations

For 2014, I decided to follow some of the 365 writing prompts given by The Daily Post. Check it out. It was recommended by a turtle (Don't ask.)

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Bringing Phones Legally to School: Good or Bad?


So, they decided to allow kids to bring hi-tech gadgets to school now, huh? I bet most of Malaysia knew this by now; I found out a few days earlier, when my eyes fell on the surprising article on the third page of the Star newspaper. I could not believe my eyes. Was this really happening? I could’ve sworn I heard high-pitched voices screaming with joy as they threw their cell phones in the air. Then there are the low grumbles and rants of the seniors, who would not be able to taste the sweet freedom of holding their iPads in class, if the law was to be implemented in 2013. I realised that I was also unconsciously complaining about the decision being far too late for us Form Fivers (Even though I had my phone safely tucked away in a place where no phone-snatching wardens would ever think to look.) This was the second time I had felt dissatisfied; the first being the time I found out that school students didn’t have to pay for their train tickets. Think of all the money I could’ve saved if I had known a year earlier!

The Pros

 Well, now that the cat is out of the bag, many students (excluding myself) are excited for the next school year. The presence of hi-tech phones and gadgets on one’s self could greatly benefit you. For instance, say some tech savvy kid (e.g. you) was kidnapped by an evil adult. With a phone in his/her grasp, two things could be done. One, call or text your parents your whereabouts without being noticed by the kidnapper. Two, pray that someone has the common sense to find your phone/gadget via GPS (And hope that your battery will be able to last long enough.)

 Children also claim that with technology, class can be more effective, not to mention fun. Nowadays, there are sites on the Internet that either encourage kids to learn more, or help them revise their subjects. Though I must say, wasn’t there a cheaper way of influencing kids to study? Oh yeah, now I remember. It was whipping the child with the rattan.

It’s Not a Flawless Plan

 Nothing’s perfect in life. That includes this whimsical law. Not every teen on the country supports the idea of bringing devices to school. Some even strongly opposes it. And with good reason too; it’s too much a distraction for a learning tool. Most people find it hard to study at home, what with all the disturbances around them. Even I have to admit, had I not gone to boarding school, I’d have been glued to the TV and laptop alternately 24/7. By approving the law, we’re just giving them more distractions, and at a place where they should be focused.
 I can bet you that students would put more effort on updating their Facebook or Twitter every few minutes with boring, insignificant nonsense (‘My History teacher is currently writing things on the whiteboard.’ ‘LOL I’m tweeting in the toilet’) There would also be an increase of students taking pictures of their food at the canteen and uploading it online just for the sake of informing the public what they’re eating.

 Pftt. As if the public cares.

 I’m not opposing the implementation, but I’m not on the bandwagon too. I don’t really care about it anyways. Perhaps you'll be seeing me grumbling to my friends about how people make decisions a tad too late to benefit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment