Followers

Occasional Inspirations

For 2014, I decided to follow some of the 365 writing prompts given by The Daily Post. Check it out. It was recommended by a turtle (Don't ask.)

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Butter Cake Recipe!!!

  You are one lucky reader to have found this place. I'm feeling especially generous today, so today, I will be handing down, to you, a secret family recipe that was inherited since 250 years ago. But there is one flaw to this appreciative gesture: I don't have a 250-year-old secret family recipe (Or do I...?). So I'll just have to make do with a butter cake recipe, ripped off straight from the newspaper.

 The other day (1st June. to be exact.), my dad found a little something between the pages of the newspaper that he'd like to try; a butter cake recipe. When he said 'I wanted to try it', he meant 'I will drag my son down to the kitchen to help me'. So after a week of delays, he finally dragged me into the kitchen, and got started.

 Here are the ingredients you are gonna need:
  • 250g butter
  • 210g castor sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 200g self-raising flour, sifted with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and
  • 4 tablespoon fresh UHT milk

Ze Instructions!:
1) Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with greased greaseproof paper. Preheat ze oven to 170° C.

It said to do it first, but we put it last on ze list. Yeah, we're rulebreakers, and proud of it.
Plus, I dunno why the empty tin was in there.

2) Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. One way to make sure that it's creamy (Because I didn't know how to recognize it, even when I'm facing it.) is that the butter does not stick to the whisk.

3) Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and creamy. Than add the essence.

4) Fold in sifted flour gradually to mix, before finally adding the milk. Mix until well combined.

Yup, that's well combined alright. I guess. Creamy yellow mess.
5) Turn out mixture into prepared tin. Level out the mixture at the sides but allow a shallow well in the centre. The keyword is SHALLOW. This is to enable the cake to level up evenly during ze baking.
   
    As you can see below, my dearest father did not listen to his son's constant disagreeing mumbles. Let's see what happens...

Not shallow enough, dad. Not shallow enough.
6) Bake in pre-heated oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.

Optional Waiting Activities:
  • Dance to a song (In my case, Bruno Mar's 'Treasure)
  • Show dancing moves to mother. (This is a risky activity, as it can cause the mother to start her lecture on colleges and the importance of education. This will depend on the attitude of mothers.)
  • Let sofa swallow you into comfort as you watch the latest episode of your fave TV show
  • Watch curiously at the oven as the tin spins around for the hour.


 7) Let it cool before serving the cake.

  And we're done. :) As I proceeded to slice the cake, my baby bro pointed out how familiar it seemed to him. I stared at the cake, slowly realising the likeness of the cake.

Like a burnt pimply pellet-eating, ghost-chomping arcade character.
Also, we noticed the peculiar bump of the cake. Then I remember that it was due to the lack of shallowness and the ignorance of a certain person.

This is clearly a case of ididn'tlistentomyawesomeson-tis.
It was delicious. :D And I'm gonna attempt the second time this evening, so I'll try to upload the pics as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can either try this recipe, or continue drooling at the images of the awesomely home-made creation. ;)



2 comments: